Oaklands College Academic Community
Oaklands College HE Students’ Academic Community is part of Oaklands ongoing commitment to improve academic standards and professional cooperation. Achieving this will include the exchange of resources, ideas, and the sharing of good practices between and within different academic programmes and departments.
What is academic community engagement and cooperation?
A wide range of activities can be included in academic community engagement and cooperation. The community will offer you the following:
- Share tips and research sources
- Exchange of resources and ideas
- Question and Answer
- Web forum and discussion
- Online and social network engagement
- Workshops & master-classes
- Collaborative students projects
- Trade of books
- Advertising PT & FT jobs relevant for you
- Essential study skills tips and resources
You don’t need to do all of these things – start where you feel most comfortable and ask for advice if you want to try something new.
What do we do?
How will we do this?
- Providing platforms for students to exchange ideas and resources
The academic community site will provide opportunities for students to take part in online exchange activities.
The HE academic community is created with the belief in the essential helpfulness and generosity of human nature to nurture and support each other in their academic and life endeavours.
- Offering support and advice
By assisting students to meet learning outcomes we will provide them with the best professional and academic resources, relevant and valid University of
Hertfordshire study support sources and professional magazines and academic journals.
- Finding funding to reward outstanding work
We are keen to promote excellence of students work by setting up a student academic award. We will reward the three best students work in areas of Business & Management, Construction Management & Animal and Equine Management. Local partners and businesses will fund and participate in the process.
- Managing co-operation
We are providing the opportunity for Oaklands College students from different programmes, departments, years and groups to be actively involved in the process of learning, sharing and helping each other to develop and prosper.
We are also offering opportunities for local business, communities and public organisations to engage in your learning and professional activities (for example, work experience, voluntary work, consultancy work, work-based research).
Oaklands College academic community principles
Oaklands College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all its students regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
To be successful requires mastery of fundamental academic skills, and problem-solving, exchange of ideas, critical thinking, effective communication, respect for others, and initiative.
Oaklands College Students’ Academic Community welcomes these values in our everyday communication, joint work and future commitments. The core values are:
- An open, friendly and learning community to develop academic and professional skills and to nurture close relationships among Oaklands students.
- Celebrate and enhance community diversity, variety of cultures, races, religions, gender, and beliefs to be able to appreciate the differences and similarities between peoples.
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships with community-based organisations to integrate expertise and real world connections into students learning experiences.
- Change, develop and nurture adaptability, communication, initiative and imagination as habits of mind that are critical to success.